MONROE, La. (Ouachita Green) - Ouachita Green will host the annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection event this coming Saturday, April 16th. The event will be from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm on the ULM campus at Brown Stadium located at 518 War Hawk Way.
The Household Hazardous Waste Collection event gives the citizens of Ouachita Parish and surrounding communities the opportunity to properly dispose of their household hazardous chemicals and recyclables.
Given the recent devastation caused by recent flooding, event organizers feel this year's attendance will be exceptionally high. It is important for those planning to drop off items to arrive as early as possible due to potentially long lines.
Volunteers are needed to help with the event. If anyone 16 years old and up would like to volunteer, they should contact Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Deputy Wayne Heckford at (318) 355-3517. Volunteers will meet at Brown Stadium at 8:30 am Saturday prior to the event.
This collection of household hazardous waste materials is limited to residential participants only. Accepted items include:
• Hazardous household products - medications, oil and latex paint, batteries, motor oil, household chemicals and pesticides, etc.
• Electronic Waste - computers, printers, TVs, radios, etc.
• Recyclable materials - paper, cardboard, plastics and white goods/scrap metal.
• Sharps - needles will be accepted but participants will be required to transfer the needles to a provided container at the collection site.
• Tires - up to a 20 inch rim; limited to five tires per household.
Prohibited materials include ammo, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and explosives.