Ruston woman thankful to be alive after a fire destroyed her home

By  | 

RUSTON, La. (KNOE) - A Ruston woman is thankful to be alive after a fire ripped through her house on Clay Street Tuesday morning.

Margaret Scott says she's lived in her home for over 60 years and was devastated to see it go up in flames.

Officials say the fire started around 5 AM. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in 30 minutes.

Scott says thanks to the Ruston Fire Department and her church, The Zion Traveler Baptist Church, she made it out of her home safely.

"It's what kept me alive- that smoke detector," says Margaret Scott.

She says the church brought the fire department in for a safety presentation about nine years ago. That's when she signed up for a free smoke alarm. Without that alarm in her bedroom, Scott says she might not be alive.

"I didn't have one in my bedroom at that time," Scott explains. "They put it in my bedroom and said it would last for ten years and I didn't have to do anything to it. And that's the first time it had gone off in my bedroom."

Margaret's son, Bruce, says he couldn't be more grateful for the smoke detectors. "Putting smoke detectors in my mother's home," says Bruce Scott. "Which we are all aware, and we thank God and we thank the church and our pastor because that's what saved her life."

Margaret says they have to rebuild the home because it means so much to her family. "One of my granddaughters told me yesterday 'Ma-ma you got to get this house back', she says 'because we grew up in this house'," says Scott.