Vigil held for man who died in police custody, family raises questions

Published: May. 15, 2019 at 10:44 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The family of 49-year-old Ronald Greene was left in complete shock after finding out their loved one died following a high speed chase with police.

"Every day we think we're going to go forward with what we came here to do and with the nightmare we've been through, it's been a total setback," said Greene’s mother, Mona Hardin.

According to Louisiana State Police, the chase began around midnight Friday, May 10, near the University of Louisiana at Monroe.

Greene refused to pull over and led deputies on a chase that ended after he crashed his car near Highway 2 and Highway 143. This place is also known as Crossroads.

Police say Greene became combative, which led to a struggle and his eventual arrest.

Police say when EMS arrived on scene, he became unresponsive. That's when they say Greene died on his way to the hospital.

"We haven't been able to believe this. It'll hit us later, because we can't even believe this is happening," said Hardin.

Greene's family is now raising questions about his death. They feel the information they've been given by police is unclear, and that there's possibly more to the story.

"It could've been avoided. You got witnesses down the road next door in front of the house saying he heard him saying, 'I'm sorry. I should've pulled over.' And every time you try to reach out and talk to someone, nobody wants to talk but I don't think he deserved that though," said John Winzer, Greene’s nephew.

State Trooper Michael Reichardt says they are still awaiting an autopsy report. Despite this tragedy, family and friends say he will be missed, but they won't stop fighting for information.

"He grew up here and he left and he just came back because this was his family. These were his individuals, he's been back and forth for the last year and a half. He was actually in the process of relocating to make a better life for himself. So to see all these people out here just warms my heart," said Greene’s sister, Alana Wilson.