MONROE, La. (KNOE) The Ouachita Parish School Board honored two school workers Thursday.
The Ouachita Parish School Board honored two school workers Thursday. Source:(KNOE)
Last week, Central Elementary School Nurse Sonja Bamburg saved a student's life after a yellow jacket sting sent him into anaphylactic shock.
Ouachita Parish High School's Philip Shaw used CPR and a defibrillator to save a coach's life after he collapsed on the field.
Both Bamburg and Shaw were given awards for their services.
Ouachita Parish School Superintendent Don Coker said he was honored to have both of them working in his community.
"We're blessed. We're absolutely blessed to have the quality of medical people that we have," he said. "Safety is a priority for us, so we certainly, we put a lot of money into it. But you can't buy a child or an employee's life."
Coker also said a few words in remembrance of Red Sims, a longtime school board member who recently passed. Coker said he would be missed.