GSU talks safety following shooting | Nearly one year after double homicide

Dwayne Fletcher charged with Attempted 2nd Degree Murder.
Dwayne Fletcher charged with Attempted 2nd Degree Murder.(KNOE)
Published: Oct. 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A Lincoln Parish man is facing an Attempted 2nd Degree Murder charge after being accused of shooting one man on the campus of Grambling State University. Neither the suspect nor the victim is a student at the school. Students received a campus-wide alert shortly before 10 p.m. urging them to stay inside their rooms on Sunday.

Deputies say the shooting happened at the basketball courts. After the incident, deputies say the suspect, Dwayne Fletcher, fled the scene on foot. He was later found hiding in a bush near the elementary school.

"I just want to go where I need to go without worrying about getting shot or anything like that," one student said.

GSU President Rick Gallot says they "are committed to keeping this campus safe.”

He said he wants students and parents to know the shooting was an isolated situation.

"I would say the individuals involved were not Grambling State University students," Gallot said.

The later days of October will make a year since the double homicide took place on campus last year. Gallot says they have made some changes since then.

“Police have asked for student identification on different times and locations," he said.

Gallot says since GSU is an open campus, they are working with the parish and city to control who comes on and off campus.

"We want to make sure that our students are the ones here on campus as oppose to outsiders," he said.

Media Coordinator Javon Hackley is urging students to voice their concerns to the university's staff.

“You’ve got a president that you can reach. You’ve got faculty and staff that you can reach that are actively concerned here," he said. "If you see something to say something because they are our best lens to what’s happening here on campus.”

Fletcher is in custody at the Lincoln Parish Detention Center on a $760,000 bond. The victim is in stable condition.