Digging into the details of Quinton Tellis' murder charge

Courtesy: KNOE
Courtesy: KNOE(KNOE)
Published: Jul. 8, 2016 at 5:25 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Quinton Tellis, the man suspected of killing a ULM student last August is now being charged for her murder. Police have worked for months, piecing together the evidence. We dug deeper into the arrest warrant filed Thursday, which describes the series of events in the investigation.

Detectives say Meing-Chen Hsiao's body was found on August 8th, 2015, but after talking to neighbors and reviewing surveillance footage at a nearby Walmart, detectives believe she was actually killed on July 29th.

Neighbors are quoted, telling officers a man believed to be Quinton Tellis, came to Hsiao's apartment repeatedly, asking for her. After July 29th, neighbors didn't see any movement or activity at Hsiao's apartment. They say her lights were left on and her bike left unmoved.

When Hsiao's body was found, police noted she was stabbed more than 30 times, with cuts on her face and body, indicating she was tortured.

Detectives say the crime scene appeared to have been "cleaned up" before they got there, but during the investigation, police found several receipts. In the days following, they obtained a search warrant for Hsiao's bank account. That's when police discovered bank transactions spread out across the area, dated after her death and totaling almost $2,000.

Tellis was arrested on August 19th, questioned and admitted to using the debit cards to get cash. When he was put in handcuffs, officers found shoes which they believe had dried blood on them, but forensics says the shoes were washed and the D.N.A evidence destroyed.

Several people were questioned in the coming months, and accusations were made against several people. While some were proven false, ultimately detectives say all signs pointed back to Tellis, despite no physical or scientific evidence linking Tellis to the murder.

Thursday, a warrant for First Degree Murder was filed against Tellis, because of the clues, signs and several fingers pointed at him for the crime.

Police worked for months to obtain the evidence, and now a grand jury will decide Tellis' fate. Right now, he's being held in a Mississippi jail for the burning death of Jessica Chambers.

Monroe Police are expected to address the findings, and this warrant, soon.