LAFAYETTE, La. - (KNOE) Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser and the Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board crowned Chef Nathan Richard of Cavan Restaurant & Bar in New Orleans as the 2019 King of Louisiana Seafood after winning the 12th Annual Louisiana Seafood Cook-Off. For the third consecutive year, the event was held at the Cajundome Convention Center in conjunction with the Taste of EatLafayette.
Gulf Fish Kinilaw by Chef Justin Componation of Parish Restaurant
To win the crown, Chef Richard prepared Crawfish and Goat Cheese King Cake with Cream Cheese Pepper Jelly, Crab Fat, Sugar, and Cajun Caviar to beat 13 of the state’s best seafood chefs by showcasing his creativity and highlighting the superior quality of the seafood that comes from Louisiana’s shorelines and vast waterways.
Chef Devan Giddix of Bourbon House in New Orleans was named second place winner, preparing Bronzed Snapper with Crab and Corn Risotto, Creole Tomato and Peach Relish with Smoked Tomato Butter. Closely behind was third place winner Chef Justin Componation of Parish Restaurant & Bar in Monroe with his Gulf Fish Kinilaw with Togarashi Popped Sorghum.
“What an amazing night as we name Chef Nathan Richard as the new King of Louisiana Seafood for 2019,” said Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser. “I look forward to working with Chef Richard over the next year as he represents the state at events across the country, including the Great American Seafood Cook-Off. This is going to be an exciting year for Louisiana as we showcase our fresh, Gulf seafood to the country and world.”
The first duty for the 2019 King of Louisiana Seafood is to prepare to represent the state in the 16th Annual Great American Seafood Cook-Off in New Orleans on August 3. Chef Richard will be defending the title “King of American Seafood” currently held by Chef Ryan Trahan of the Blue Dog Café in Lafayette.
The competitors for the 2019 Louisiana Seafood Cook-Off were:
• Chef Justin Componation; Parish Restaurant & Bar; Monroe, LA
• Chef Jeremy Conner; Spoonbill Watering Hole & Restaurant; Lafayette, LA
• Chef Wayne Cooper; The Panini Bistro; Hammond, LA
• Chef Willie Gaspard; Cypress Bayou Casino & Hotel; Charenton, LA
• Chef Devan Giddix; Dickie Brennan’s; New Orleans, LA
• Chef Marc Krampe; Social Southern Table & Bar; Lafayette, LA
• Chef Johnnie Landry; The Little Big Cup; Arnaudville, LA
• Chef Brody Leblanc; Borgne; New Orleans, LA
• Chef Larry Mannheimer; Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse; Lake Charles, LA
• Chef Jerry Mixon; Café Amelie; New Orleans, LA
• Chef Chris Motto; Mansurs on the Boulevard; Baton Rouge, LA
• Chef Nathan Richard; Cavan Restaurant & Bar; New Orleans, LA
• Chef Quintin Scrantz; Prejean’s Restaurant; Lafayette, LA
• Chef Amy Sins; Langlois; New Orleans, LA