BBB SCAM of the Week: Scammers using Western Union

By  | 

MONROE, La (KNOE) - You probably know that Western Union runs money transfer services in the US and worldwide. What you might not know is that, according to the FTC, Western Union has known for years that scammers were using its system to commit significant fraud! BBB reported this to you in April of this year and now residents on north LA have called to say they are receiving letters to receive their claims!

Courtesy: MGN Online

According to the FTC , from January , 2004 to August 2106, the WESTERN UNION got more than 550,000 complaints about money transfers made for fraudulent lottery and prizes, family emergency calls, advance-fee loans, online dating and more. WESTERN UNION's own internal reports, which flagged as fraud by some of its own agents, including many international agents, paid out fraud-induced transfers from US consumers. And there were warnings from US and international law enforcement about the fraud. And yet, the money kept rolling on through. FTC's settlement with Western Union says they agree to return $586 million to people to settle the FTC's charges that Western Union hadn't adequately protected people from fraud, and didn't properly discipline problem agents.

If you didn't already report your loss, or you don't get a claim form in the mail, go online to file your claim. Start at to get to the claims website. If you already reported your fraud loss to Western Union, the FTC, or another government agency, you might get a claim form in the mail. The forms were just mailed today and will come from Gilardi & Co, which is the company DOJ hired to handle the claims. You can file your claim online – just use the Claim ID and the PIN that are on the form you get in the mail.

In either case, you have until February 12, 2018 to file your claim.

You do not have to pay to get your money back. Don't pay anyone who says they can file a claim for you. And nobody will ever call you to ask for your bank account or credit card number. It's free to file your claim form, and you can only do it online or by mail. Find the claim form and the only real address that accepts claims at