2 NELA parishes receive Greener Grounds Grants from Keep Louisiana Beautiful
MONROE, La. (KNOE) - Keep Louisiana Beautiful has awarded 25 organizations in 15 parishes a total of $141,133 in Greener Grounds Grants, and Jackson and Franklin Parish made the list. The grants will help parishes implement the best litter and waste prevention practices and reduction at large outdoor events.
This is the first year the grant program has been available. The grant is a reimbursement grant for up to $8,000 and supports non-profit large outdoor events like festivals, concerts, and parades. To be eligible, events must host more than 1,000 attendees and take place between October 2023 and May 2024.
Here is a list of NELA parishes that received a grant:
- Franklin Parish: Grant funds were used to purchase trash containers, encourage recycling efforts by partnering with the local recycling center, and prevent waste through the purchase of bags, trash receptacles, and recycling receptacles.
- Organization: Friends of Crowville
- Event: Crowville Fall Festival
- When: October 21, 2023
- Jackson Parish: Grant funds will be used to provide waste receptacles to help prevent litter and reduce waste during the event. In addition to receptacles, items to be purchased include trash bags and litter grabbers. For volunteers, funds will purchase t-shirts, food, and water.
- Organization: Town of Jonesboro
- Event: Christmas Wonderland in the Pines
- When: November 2023 - January 2024
“These Louisiana outdoor events are increasing their efforts and taking steps to protect our beautiful state from litter and divert unnecessary waste from the landfill,” said Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser. “We are proud to support the implementation of the Greener Grounds Grant program. Less litter results in a cleaner and healthier environment and an improved event goer experience.”
Copyright 2023 KNOE. All rights reserved.