State Fire Marshal identifies cause of Monroe fire that kill 4-year-old

4-year-old dies in Monroe fire, State Fire Marshal investigating
4-year-old dies in Monroe fire, State Fire Marshal investigating(Source: Louisiana State Fire Marshal)
Published: Mar. 27, 2023 at 12:11 PM CDT|Updated: Apr. 10, 2023 at 11:34 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONROE, La. (KNOE) - UPDATE: SFM says the investigation has revealed that the fire started in the home’s kitchen. Deputies have been unable to confirm an exact cause, unable to rule out potential electrical malfunctions or unattended cooking as contributing factors.

Deputies have learned that some of the children that were present in the home discovered the fire and alerted the occupants.

The Louisiana State Fire Marshal says deputies are currently investigating a fire that happened in Monroe on March 25 just before 6 a.m. and claimed the life of a child.

The Monroe Fire Department responded to the report of a house fire near the 4000 block of Lee Ave. Firefighters learned there were 11 people present in the home when the fire started. Ten people were accounted for, with a 4-year-old boy not found. The child’s body was later found inside the home by firefighters.

This is an ongoing investigation.

LSFM says more information will be released as it comes available.