Advertisement

2 more Louisianans die of carbon monoxide poisoning misusing a generator

Improper use of generators can cause carbon monoxide build-up and death
Improper use of generators can cause carbon monoxide build-up and death(Consumer Product Safety Commission)
Published: Aug. 29, 2020 at 1:37 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONROE, La. (KNOE) - Two more people have died after misusing a generator.

According to the Louisiana Department of Health, an 84-year-old male and 80-year-old female in Allen Parish died from carbon monoxide poisoning from having a generator inside. 10 people in Louisiana and Texas have died in this manner.

Officials said on Friday that five members of one household died of carbon monoxide poisoning produced by their generator. Lake Charles Fire Chief Shawn Caldwell said the generator was running in an attached garage. Three people inside a Texas pool hall also died. Authorities say the owner had let seven Vietnamese shrimp boat laborers and homeless men take shelter.

Governor John Bel Edwards again issued a stern warning that generators must only be used outdoors and away from windows, doors and other openings. He said not even under carports or garages.

Find generator safety info at GetAGamePlan.org.

Copyright 2020 KNOE. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News