Man claims Monroe police beat him, criminal investigation underway

A Monroe man is accusing the Monroe Police Department of beating him after he surrendered to arrest
Published: Jul. 18, 2020 at 7:10 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONROE, La. (KNOE) - A Monroe man is accusing the Monroe Police Department of beating him after he surrendered to arrest.

The department has launched a criminal investigation into an alleged assault on Timothy Williams who was arrested on April 21.

According to the arrest report, it happened in the areas of N 4th St. and Pine St.

Police say 40-year-old Timothy Wayne Williams was stopped in the 400 block of N 4th St. during a search for an audible alarm.

Police said Willams produced a fake handgun he had concealed underneath his shirt in a black leather holster.

According to the arrest records, officers attempted to search Willaims for other weapons during which time a crack pipe fell from his shirt pocket and Williams fled the scene.

Williams says he was surrounded by seven to eight officers and ran because he was afraid.

He says he then realized he couldn’t keep running and surrendered by putting his hands in the air and then laid on his stomach to be handcuffed.

“I was just thinking maybe well...when I give up they’ll just put the handcuffs on me and I’ll Just face the charges that they’re going to charge me with. I didn’t think that I would be put in handcuffs and get beaten and still have to face charges too,” Williams said.

He said after being handcuffed, he was then punched and kicked by at least two officers.

Police said Williams was apprehended in the 400 block of Pine St. and escorted back to 400 block of N 4th St. during which time he was read his rights.

The arrest report said Williams was transported to St. Francis Hospital for lacerations he suffered while trying to evade capture.

The report said after Williams was released from the hospital, he was transported to the Ouachita Correctional Center for booking.

Williams pleaded guilty on July 17 to flight from an officer and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was sentenced to time served by the court.

Williams lawyers said after being released from jail, Williams was urged by his pastor to get an attorney and file a complaint. He is being represented by Pleasant, Williams, and Banks-Miley Law Group LLC. The three women are jointly representing Williams.

The arrest affidavit reports there is body camera footage of the incident. It has not been released to the public yet.

Williams’ lawyers have filed multiple written requests to get Williams’ statements to police and the body camera footage. They said that all of their requests have been denied at this point.

KNOE has also filed a request to see the body camera footage.

He and his lawyers are asking that the officers be terminated quickly and they say it should not have taken this long for the matter to come to the light.

“We want to see the officers terminated,” said Kristen Pleasant, one of his attorneys. “We also would like to see the officers prosecuted. We don’t want to see a delay or lag on [the] prosecution.”

“I would like to see justice for Timothy and that the Mayor and officials authorize the city [to] release the body cam, original photos, and both of his original statements. We would like the officers terminated and prosecuted for this heinous act.” - Lead Counsel Donecia Banks-Miley

Interim Police Chief Reggie Brown said the department is taking this “very seriously.”

According to an initial incident report from MPD, eight officers responded to the incident of “suspicious activity” but it is not clear how many officers are being investigated.

Monore Police will be addressing this matter momentarily. Refresh for updates.

This is a developing story.

Copyright 2020 KNOE. All rights reserved.