Monroe House Fire - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; |

Monroe House Fire

Posted: Updated:


MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - A Monroe neighborhood got an early wake up call after a house caught fire Monday morning. No one was injured. As our Nolan Crane reports there was someone in the house but he was able to make it out.

Members of the Monroe Fire Department are busy cleaning up after they responded to a fire located at 1310 South Fifth Street. We spoke with the owner Isaiah Square who says he smelt smoke fill the house, he then called 911.

"I was down in the den asleep on the couch. I kept smelling smoke so I got up. I went through the house. I didn't see anything on the inside burning them I came outside by the back part of the fireplace and that's when I saw fire in the ceiling," said Isaiah Square.

Monroe Fire Fighters had to get on the roof to fight the fire that started a little after 4:30 Monday morning. The sound of the crackling and the bright lights from law enforcement vehicles was an early wake up call for Isaiah's neighbors who are still in shock to see the condition of their friend's house.

"I said I know I'm not dreaming, so I get up the fire departments knocking on my door telling us

we had to come outside just for safety precautions. So we came outside and I'm like oh, lord have mercy, Ike's house is on fire," said Kevin Davis.

Isaiah says the fire started in his living room but as you can see damage is wide spread. His walls and ceilings are charred, majority of windows are gone and only the metal springs remain of the bed where he was sleeping. Isaiah doesn't know the cost of the damage but he knows it could have been worse.

"I was at home safe, but I'm cool. I was there by myself," said Square.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but preliminary reports show that it started in the fireplace.

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - Members of the Monroe Fire Department responded to a house fire located at 1310 South 5th Street in Monroe early Monday morning. 

Isaiah Square was home alone when his house filled with smoke. He called 911 a little after 4:30 this morning. Four fire trucks showed up to battle the fire which took longer than an hour to put out. 

The cause of the fire is still under investigation but Isaiah says it started in his fire place. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.