Mayor takes court action against council members - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

Mayor takes court action against council members

Posted: Updated:

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - The power struggle between Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo and the city council continues. Friday, the mayor filed a motion against the council, saying four members have violated a judge's order.

The mayor's attorney filed contempt of court against four city council members regarding appointments to the I-20 Economic Development Board. This move comes just one day after the board met for the first time in more than seven months.

Jamie Mayo's attorney Charles Kincade says the council has made attempts to re-appoint members to the I-20 board that the mayor had previously removed from the board. Mayo and Kincade say the council directly violated a judge's order to stop the council from limiting the mayor's powers only a month after it was put in place. In July 2013, the council attempted to pass a measure stopping the Mayor from removing any I-20 board members without cause.

"We think it was direct contempt, and it's something the mayor takes no pleasure in filing, but we think we need to stand up in the authority and the integrity of the court," says Kincade.

City council members involved are Kenneth Wilson, Betty Blakes, Ray Armstrong, and Eddie Clark.

Clarks calls the latest legal move "frivolous, if not outright ridiculous."

"The I-20 board met and had a successful meeting, and then to be hit below the belt. The mayor continues to whine, cry, and complain about this particular council, and it's nauseating at the least," says Clark.

Kincade is asking the court date be set on February 18th. That's same day as a hearing regarding the original case against the council.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.