Holiday house fires - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

Holiday house fires

Posted: Updated:

MONROE,La. (KNOE 8 News)-Fire trucks pulling out of the Monroe fire stations become a common sight during the holiday season.

"Typically what happens during the holiday season is more people are at home and where there are more people there are more incidents of fire" says Assistant Fire Chief Bronson Moss.

With yesterday being thanksgiving Monroe fire responded to numerous calls one being this home on Richmond street in south Monroe around 3 PM.

 " Structure fire, a residential structure fire and it is believed it was caused by careless smoking materials" says Moss.

The front part of the home was destroyed by the fire and there was a box from a turkey fryer and a propane tank at the scene.

"According to chief moss during the holiday season they tend to see more cooking and kitchen fires" says reporter Hilary Hunt.

"So many heat sources in the kitchen and you have a lot of fuel sources in the kitchen and when you put heat and fuel together we have fire so its pretty simple and so we do tend to see that increase during the holiday season" says Moss.

All four people got out safely and no one was hurt thanks to a working smoke alarm.

Which is another reason the fire department stressed the importance of having one that is fully functional.

Now if you live within the Monroe city limits the fire department will install the smoke alarms for free all you have to do is call 329-2474.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.