I-20 Board reschedules meeting, puts road project on hold - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

I-20 Board reschedules meeting, puts road project on hold

Posted: Updated:

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - Another I-20 Economic Development Board meeting has been rescheduled after not enough members showed up. This puts many construction projects in Monroe at risk.

The construction along Interstate 20 just east of Highway 165 is empty, and may remain that way for some time. The I-20 service road project was going as planned, until construction crews hit a minor road bump.

"We're now at the sub-base preparation level," says project engineer Ron Haisty.

The project is to extend to service road in front of Sparks Nissan to Millhaven Road. Ground conditions have changed since the project started and now the original plan must change, which requires a vote from the I-20 Board.

"You have a board of seven but you only have four active members," says Charles Pritchard, "which means you have to have four for a quorum."

After the dismissal of three board members by Mayor Jamie Mayo, and restraining orders placed against City Council members over a power struggle regarding the I-20 board, only four members remain: Mayor Mayo, Charles Pritchard, Otis Chisley and Ernest Johnson - who was absent from Thursday's meeting meaning the board could not vote.

"I'll go back to the contractor and say hey guys give us a day or two," says Haisty, "we've presented the case and hopefully they can get a quorum together. Hopefully the contractor will be patient with us, but at some point maybe they should go do something else for the time being."

The I-20 Board meeting had been rescheduled for next Tuesday, July 2, at 5.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.