knoe 8 news, Monroe, fire, Emerson street - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

Fire displaces family right before Mother's Day

Posted: Updated:
photo by: Ty Russell photo by: Ty Russell

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - Relatives and neighbors are spending their Saturday finding the meaningful pictures and other items after a house fire.


"The lights flickered and my grandson hollered 'what was that' and I said 'it was nothing'," Lori Garlington said. 

Little did Garlington know, her house was on fire while her and her 13-year-old grandson were still inside of this home on the 2400-block of Emerson Street in Monroe over the weekend

"A few minutes later, someone was banging on my door and said 'did you know your roof is on fire?'," Garlington said.

Garlington blames lightning as the spark for the flames. Most of the roof is now gone and the inside of the home heavily damaged by the flames and water. The homeowner is thankful for that late night knock on the door.

"My room was already in flames but we were able to get to my grandson's room and get him out," Garlington said. 

As Mother's Day approached, Garlington began getting ready before the fire. 

"I had all of my mother's stuff on the bed working on it," Garlington said. "My mother died the day before mother's day last year."

There are many items that cannot be replaced but the homeowner is thankful for her safety.

"I would hate to imagine what would have happened," she said. 

Neighbors are now preparing to set up an account at a local bank next week to assist this mother and grandmother to help her move forward and rebuild her home.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.