UPDATE: Dog put down after attacking 5 year old - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

UPDATE: Dog put down after attacking 5 year old

Posted: Updated:

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - A dog that attacked a child in Monroe in March has been put down by Animal Control.

On March 25th, while visiting his grandmother in the Lakewood Estates, Aiden Stevenson, 5, was playing with neighbors in their backyard. That's when one of the Chelsea Carter's three pitbulls attacked Stevenson, severely injuring his jaw.
Animal Control Director Hack Tull initially told KNOE that the dog would have to be given back to the owners because it was on a leash in the backyard and no laws were violated.

Instead, attorney for Ouachita Parish Animal Control, Jay Mitchell, filed a petition to bring the dog's owner, Chelsea Carter, to court over the animal. Tull says to avoid court, Carter surrendered the dog to animal control and it was put down.

Aiden is still recovering from the attack. He recently got his stitches removed, but more appointments and surgeries are ahead of him.


Original story posted on March 31, 2013:

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - A 5-year-old boy is recovering at his Bienville Parish home after a dog attacked him in Monroe.

Children were dodging rain drops this Easter for the chance to play outside, but Aiden Stevenson can't go outside to play. Last week while staying with his grandmother in Monroe, a pit bull attacked Aiden, biting him in the face.

"They always tell them not to come back here because they know about the dogs or whatever," says the dog's owner, Chelsea Carter. She says Aiden was playing with her children when they went into the backyard where the dogs were chained. When he got too close, the dog attacked.

After two emergency surgeries, it's not over for the Kindergartner.

"They went into his jaw, and that's whenever they realized it's not just fractured, it's pretty much crushed," says Aiden's father Joe Stevenson, "the doctor says he will have to have plastic surgery at some point for the scarring, and depending on how the jaw heals, they may have to go back in and do an adjustment there, too."

The dog was taken by Ouachita Parish Animal Control to be monitored for rabies, but will be released to its owners later this week.

"The only thing they can say is, well, if it happens again we'll put the dog down. Well if it happens again, it may kill another child," says Stevenson.

Because the dog was on a leash, animal control officers say no laws were violated.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.