Prison news in Arkansas - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

Prison news in Arkansas

Posted: Updated: April 11, 2013 04:09 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KNOE 8 News) - Gov. Mike Beebe has announced his intention to pardon six convicts.

A statement from the governor's office Thursday says each of the six have completed their sentences and probations and have had no additional convictions.

The six are Willie Easley of Gentry; Robert Ellis of Waldo; Charles Kildow of Ravenden Springs; Lee Nayles of Little Rock; Calvin Tidwell of Arkadelphia; and Renee Davis Victory of Paron.

Easley, Kildow, Tidwell and Ellis were convicted of drug-related crimes; Nayles was convicted of theft of property and Victory of a hot check violation.

There is a 30 day waiting period for public comment before the pardons can become final.

Meanwhile, the Arkansas' attorney general anticipates taking steps in the coming days to put the state on the path to its first execution since 2005.

The state Supreme Court on Thursday said stays issued in 2010 dissolved last year when justices found Arkansas' old execution law unconstitutional. Legislators passed a new measure last month.

The court said Thursday that if inmates want to challenge the new law, they have to file a new complaint in a lower court.

With stays for six inmates no longer in effect, a spokesman for Attorney General Dustin McDaniel says the state's top lawyer anticipates writing a letter to the governor "in the coming days" certifying there is no legal impediment to their death sentences.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.