knoe 8 news, Monroe, budget, - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

$57 million budget heading for taxpayer review

Posted: Updated:

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - The $57 million is going into the upcoming spending plan in the city of Monroe. From there, Monroe Council Chair Eddie Clark says it's mostly going back to you.

"This is not a power hungry council, this is a council that wants to do the right thing and give the power back to the people," Clark said.

In the last of four budget hearings Monday, one city leader, Councilwoman Betty Blakes, chose not to vote yay or nay. Everyone else is giving the measure a thumbs up for a formal introduction to taxpayers March 26th.

Mayor Jamie Mayo is on board as well, but there are still a few concerns.

"Them possibly wanting to eliminate the city engineering position, full-time," Mayo said.

That job remains vacant at this point. It was previously held by Senyale Morrison, but she stepped down. She's accused of mismanagement and is now waiting on a payroll fraud trial.

"That falls under the administration," Clark said. "The mayor can hire a part-time engineer a full time engineer he just has to work with whatever money is allocated for that department."

This plan spending your tax dollars also pays elected officials. Council members are still getting about $12,000 a year and the mayor banks more than $100,000.

Once the budget gets the final stamp of approval, city leaders will still get four chances during the fiscal year to move dollars around.

During that time more projects may get the green light, if the revenues are flowing in during the fiscal year.

The public can weigh in on April 9, 2013 at City Hall.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.