Natchez man dies from burns suffered in house fire - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

Natchez man dies from burns suffered in house fire

Posted: Updated:

NATCHEZ, Miss. (KNOE 8 News & AP) - A 70-year-old Natchez man has died from severe burns to his upper body and face days after he fell asleep smoking a cigarette resulting in his bed and sheets catching fire.

Bill Grover Hammett reportedly died Saturday at the Joseph M. Still burn center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga. Adams County Sheriff Chuck Mayfield said deputies responded to a report of a house fire at 1:06 a.m. Wednesday.

Mayfield said arson investigator Sgt. Buddy Frank inspected the house after the fire and was able to corroborate Hammett's statement about how the fire started.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.