Update: ULM worker injured lighting boiler - KNOE 8 News; KNOE-TV; KNOE.com |

Update: ULM worker injured lighting boiler

Posted: Updated:

MONROE, La., (KNOE 8 News) - ULM has released an update on the fire on campus that occurred on January 3rd.

The University update says, "University officials have concluded a thorough review of all certification policies, procedures, and practices related to the boiler incident on Jan. 3. The university identified procedural weaknesses and addressed those by implementing additional checks and balances for deferred maintenance and safety issues, thus reducing the probability of a similar reoccurrence. The university remains very grateful that the employee involved in the incident is recovering and doing well."

Previous Report:

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News & ULM) - At approximately 10:30 a.m. Thursday, ULM police responded to an incident in a small utility building outside of Stubbs Hall.

A ULM employee entered the building and attempted to light the boiler. Due to some residual gas inside the boiler, the area ignited.

The employee sustained some moderate flash burns on his face and was hospitalized. ULM maintenance personnel immediately turned off the main gas valve.

There was no need to evacuate the area because there were no faculty or students in the area. Monroe Fire Department also responded to the incident, which is under investigation.

Update: A worker injured while trying to light a boiler at the University of Louisiana at Monroe has been treated and released from the hospital.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KNOE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.