MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - Monroe fire investigators searched the charred remains of the deadly house fire on Park Ave Friday.
The blaze claimed the lives of Nancy Fluck and her dog Scrapper."The family said "Scrapper" was found at her master's feet.
While it's still unclear how the fire started, one thing was clear, there was no evidence of smoke detectors inside Fluck's house.
The Monroe Fire Department said most fatal house fires are the result of uninstalled smoked detectors. It's a risk Monroe residents don't have to take because they are willing to install them for free.
Chief Fire Investigator David Hill said, "Those smoke detectors will alert the first chance it senses smoke and gives you that extra few minutes to get out or a house fire."
Fluck's daughter believes there may have been one smoke detector in the back of the house, but her mother had difficulty hearing.
A neighbor heard sparks in the burning house and called the fire department.
Nancy Fluck was 79 years old. She is survived by her daughter and son, and several grandchildren.