BARCELONA, Spain (ABC/CBS/AP) -- Update: 4:25 pm CST - Police in the northern Spanish city of Barcelona say a white van has jumped the sidewalk in the city's historic Las Ramblas district, killing at least 13 people and injuring 100 others.
Photo: Kevin Rincon / Twitter
Fifteen of the victims were seriously injured, another 23 were moderately wounded and 42 others were being treated for slight injuries. They are all being cared for at various hospitals.
Update 2:40 pm CST - At least 12 people are dead, possibly 13, after a van plowed through a busy street in Barcelona, Spain, government officials now say. Officials say about 80 others were also injured, during the attack in which pedestrians were run down at a tourist hot-spot in the Catalonia region.
Catalonia's regional president says two suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack, though police have confirmed only one arrest so far. Police are treating the incident as a terror attack saying, "The protocol for terrorist attacks has been activated."
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq agency, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
Barcelona's Tv3 reports police surrounded a bar called Rey de Istanbul. A man thought to be the driver of a van was surrounded by police. The Spanish passport of a person of Moroccan origin was found at the scene of the attack.
An eyewitness told a Spanish television station that the suspect was running people over in his van for nearly 1,000 feet before fleeing into a nearby Turkish restaurant.
In the U.S., President Trump tweeted about the attack from his New Jersey golf club, where he is on a working vacation.
"The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!" the president wrote.
Update 12:00 pm CST - As of noon, Central Standard Time, media in Spain is reporting that as many as 13 are believed to be dead. Police have only confirmed 1 fatality. Police have also confirmed that 32 people were injured.
Update 11:30 pm CST: According to Spanish media, two people died in the crash, the Reuters news agency reports. A police spokesperson has yet to confirm the fatalities.
Also according to local media, police are searching for the driver. They also report that a gunman has taken hostages at a nearby bar. It is unclear whether that situation is related to the van attack incident.
Police in the northern Spanish city of Barcelona say a white van has jumped the sidewalk in the city's historic Las Ramblas district, injuring several people.
In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street Thursday afternoon and were apparently being helped by police and others. Videos of the scene recorded people screaming as they fled.
At this time, the extent of the victims' injuries remains unclear.
On Twitter, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he is in contact with authorities and the priority is to attend to the injured.
Reuters reports two armed men reportedly entered a restaurant following the crash. Spain's El Pais newspaper, citing police sources, says perpetrators of the van incident are holed up in a bar.
Catalan Emergency Services have asked authorities to close train stations in the area close to the crash site in the area.