People vs. Monroe Transit: a compromise is reached

By  | 

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - The fight to keep Monroe Transit service may be over, as the city has reached a compromise. The changes will save the city one million dollars a year and keep buses on the road.

Courtesy: KNOE 8 News

"People were very passionate, those of you that were there. They pleaded with us to not make any drastic changes," says Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo.

Last month, the Monroe Transit System proposed closing nine routes.
That's when the public suggested they would pay more for the service to keep the service.

"Citizens claimed they would love to assist the city by increasing it by 100 percent, so we took it back and increased it by 50 percent," says Marc Kennean, Monroe Transit System General Manager.

This week the city announced a plan to make small, but impactful changes.

In addition to the proposed rate changes, the plan combines routes seven and nine, so people can still get to St. Francis Hospital.

It also combines routes 4 and 8, that covers the Pecanland Mall and Delta College.

They will also be offering morning and afternoon services for routes two and ten, servicing North Monroe.

'"We'll run that until 4:55 so that will allow people to get back home," says Keenan.

The night rider services will also continue.

"The night service will still be available, but it will end an hour and a half earlier."

Keenan says it's great to see that the public and city officials can work together.

"We can make a compromise to try to find something that the city can live with and also still provide service needed within the community," says Keenan.

Council members are expected to vote on these changes Tuesday, September 12th at 6 p.m.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus