Monroe fire station temporarily closes due to mold

MONROE, La (KNOE) - Chief Terry Williams with the Monroe Fire Department closed Forsythe Fire Station because mold was found inside the building.

Antonio Smith, the department's public information's officer, said the mold forced firefighters to work at other stations.

"The personnel who are assigned to that station will be distributed out or reassigned temporarily to other units or trucks. People will still be working their regular shifts and they'll still be in the flow of daily operations," Smith said.

Smith said samples of the mold were taken. He said it didn't show levels that pose a health risk, but he said the chief wants to keep his firefighter's safe.

Monroe City officials released a statement Wednesday evening saying it might take firefighters longer to get to areas like the Garden District because of the closure.

There's no word on where the mold came from, but the fire station is said to be one of the older buildings in the city.

It could take up to 10 days for the building to be mold free.
The department expects the building to be back open Oct. 23rd.