LOUISIANA (Press Release) - The Annual Louisiana Sales Tax Holiday for Hurricane Preparedness Supplies is scheduled for Saturday, May 27th beginning at 12:01 am, through Sunday, May 28th ending at 11:59 pm. The sales tax holiday applies only to a 2% savings of the 5% state sales tax. It does not apply to any local sales taxes.
Citizens should take advantage of this annual opportunity to make preparations for any potential emergencies. The most common problems stemming from hurricanes for North Louisiana is tornadoes, severe thunderstorms and flooding that occurs as a spin-off of the hurricane activity. Many of the items eligible for purchase may be used in a variety of emergency situations including winter weather events such as snow and ice.
Eligible Purchases Include:
· Any portable self-powered light source, including candles, flashlights and other articles of property designed to provide light.
· Any portable self-powered radio, two-way radio or weather band radio.
· Any tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting.
· Any ground anchor system or tie-down kit.
· Any gas or diesel fuel tank.
· Any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell 6 volt or 9 volt batteries. Automobile and Boat batteries are excluded.
· Any cell phone battery or cell phone charger.
· Any nonelectric food storage cooler. Examples are ice chests and cooler bags.
· Any portable generator used to provide light, communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage.
· Any storm shutter device.
· Any carbon monoxide detector
· Any reusable freezer pack such as “blue ice”.
For additional information, go the Louisiana Department of Revenue website.